About The Museum

The History of Saving the House

House Tour

Home




Adam Miller was the first permanent settler in what is now known as the City of Avon Lake, Ohio. Adam and Anna Teamount Miller settled in Avon Township in 1819. They had previously lived in New York State and had according to one account, ten children. The oldest one of whom we have any record was Alexis Miller, the youngest Peter J. Miller. When they arrived they found a wilderness and they built a log cabin in which to live.

On April 17, 1827 Adam Miller conveyed by warranty deed to Peter Miller the land on which the Miller house now stands. Peter Miller was married to Ruth Houseworth on January 3, 1828 in Black River Township. About 1830 they built a frame house, one of the first two on the lakeshore of Avon Township.

Their family consisted of John A., Amanda, Glover, Julia and Jennette. In 1851 Peter Miller died and his family continued to reside on the property until 1925. The house remained in the possession of the Miller girls and was occupied by various renters until 1960 when it was sold and then sold to the City of Avon Lake in 1962.

Thanks to all of our members who pay dues every year to support the Museum. Special thanks to all the organizations that have been so supportive: Women’s Club of Avon Lake, Rotary, Kiwanis, Gamma Rho, Avon-on-the-Lake Garden Club, Lake Shore Women’s Club and The Avon Lake Historical Society.

RETURN TO HERITAGE AVON LAKE